Consider the following in designing a schedule of payments for the plaintiff:
- How much money is available to be structured?
- What are the plaintiff’s immediate cash needs? A lump sum can be paid at the time of settlement to pay legal fees, or to fund the purchase or modification of equipment to meet the plaintiff’s immediate needs.
- What are the plaintiff’s future cash flow needs on a month-to-month basis?
- What intermittent lump sum payments will the plaintiff need for major future expenses (e.g., an education, a house, modifications to equipment, an automobile)?
- What is the anticipated inflation rate (for indexing)?
- How long will the plaintiff’s dependents remain in need of support?